3 out of 5
TO PREPARE THE VALENTINE’S CAKE:
- Follow the vanilla sponge mix instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C, (170°C for a fan oven), or Gas Mark 6. Generously grease 2×7 inch cake tins and line with greaseproof paper.
- Mix the cake mix, adding 2 eggs, 50g softened butter and 100ml water in a large bowl on low speed for 1 minute until moistened. Add the cocoa and red food gel to the mixture. Whisk at high speed for 2 minutes, until the mixture becomes thick and creamy.
- Pour equally into the 2 cake tins.
- Bake for 15-16 mins in centre of oven until it has risen and firm to the touch. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Once cool, carefully cut a heart shape out of each cake.
- Blitz leftover cut-offs of cake in a food processor to make the coating.
- Make the buttercream for the filling and topping.
- Sprinkle the blitzed cake on top.