SPICED FLOUR MIX:
Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine), Mixed Spice (1%).
Sultanas (49%), Raisins (49%), Vegetable Oil.
Yeast, Emulsifier: E491.
For allergens, including cereals containing gluten, see ingredients in bold.
Spiced flour – also may contain oats, milk and egg.
To make each batch of 12 buns, you will need:
45g Butter, 1 Egg, 275ml Milk, 110g Caster Sugar, 45ml Water, 1 Tsp Salt
Prepare the Dough
- Warm 275ml of milk until hand hot.
- Weigh 600g (1½ sachets) of the spiced flour into a large mixing bowl and using your fingertips, rub in 45g of softened butter.
- Add in one sachet of dried yeast, 85g of sugar and one teaspoon of salt, and stir until evenly mixed then make a well in the centre of the bowl of mix.
- Beat the egg in a cup and then with the warm milk, pour into the centre of the well in the flour.
- Mix together to a form a smooth dough and then tip out onto a lightly floured work surface.
- Carefully add 150g of the mixed dried fruit into the dough.
- Knead the dough by holding with one hand and stretching it with the heal of the other hand, then folding it back on itself. Repeat for 5 mins until smooth and elastic
- Shape the dough into a ball and place into a greased bowl, then cover and set aside in a warm place to prove for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Once doubled in size, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and divide into 12 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball, then flatten slightly into a bun shape using the palm of your hand.
- Place on a greased baking tray, then cover again and leave in a warm place to prove for a further 40 minutes.
Bake the Hot Cross Buns
- Preheat the oven to 240°C (220°C for a fan oven), Gas Mark 8.
- In a small bowl, add 25g (2-3 tablespoons) of the spiced flour with 20ml (4 teaspoons) of water and mix into a thick smooth paste – you may need to add a splash more water.
- Fill a piping bag with your topping and pipe a cross over the top of the buns.
Tip: If you don’t have a piping bag, use the empty sachet from the spiced flour with a 0.5cm corner snipped off.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10–12 minutes. Once baked place on a cooling rack.
Glaze the Hot Cross Buns
- Place 25g of sugar and 20ml of water into a small saucepan and heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Brush onto the buns and leave cool.
Place the unused open ½ bag of spiced flour and dried fruits into sealed containers until you are ready to make your next batch of Hot Cross Buns.