Oven Baked Churros
2 out of 5
- 240ml Water
- 110g Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Flavouring
- 2 tbsp. Brown Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 145g Plain flour
- 3 eggs
Coating and Sauce:
- 50g Granulated Sugar
- ¾ tsp Cinnamon
- 200g Plain Chocolate
- 550ml Milk
- 1 tsp Cornflour
- ½ tsp Vanilla Flavouring
TO PREPARE THE CHURROS:
- Preheat oven to 200°C/ 180° C fan, then line two baking trays.
- In a saucepan, add the butter, salt, water and brown sugar. Place over a low heat until melted. Allow to simmer for 1 minute before tipping in the flour. Quickly stir this into the mixture until it is all combined and there are no lumps of flour present.
- Stir the dough around the pan for a further minute over the lowest heat, making sure that the dough doesn’t stick to the pan. Set aside to allow to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, add the eggs and Borwick’s flavouring, then whisk together. Add a bit of egg mixture at a time to the dough, stirring until all the egg is incorporated and the mixture is smoother.
- Transfer the mixture into a piping bag with a star nozzle preferably. Then pipe the mixture into long churros length lines. Try to leave 2 inches space between each one to allow for expansion.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, then turn the oven OFF and allow to dry a little for 15 minutes.
- Mix together the cinnamon and sugar on a small plate. Once the churros have been removed from the oven, immediately roll in this mixture and set aside.
- Enjoy like this or dip in a chocolate sauce listed below.
TO PREPARE THE HOT CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- In a large saucepan, heat the milk to a simmer. Then add the chocolate and Borwick’s Vanilla Flavouring, whisking to incorporate whilst being heated.
- In a small bowl, add the corn flour and mix with a little water to make a slurry. Add this to the chocolate mixture and stir!
- Cook over a low- medium heat until the consistency is very thick. Serve with your churros and enjoy J