Jam Roly Poly
3 out of 5
TO PREPARE THE JAM ROLY POLY:
- Preheat the oven to 185°C/155°C for a fan oven, 365°F, Gas Mark 5. Then place Green’s classic dumpling mix into a mixing bowl and rub in 45g of butter.
- Add 3 tablespoons of water and mix to a dough. If the mixture feels a little dry add more water until a workable texture is achieved.
- Knead the dough gently onto a lightly floured surface. Then roll it out into an oblong approximately 12 inches long by 6 inches wide. Then lay the dough gently onto a piece of greaseproof paper.
- Spread a jam of your choice at the centre of the dough. Make sure to leave a gap around the edges.
- Brush all the edges of the dough with water.
- Roll the dough gently (like a swiss roll). Use the greaseproof paper as help.Then gently nip the sides of the roll together and seal the ends.
- Transfer the dough carefully. Move to a piece of greased cooking foil, placing the join underneath the roly poly. Then brush the surface with milk or egg.
- Seal the foil loosely around the pudding leaving some air space.
- Bake for 20 minutes. At 185°C/155°C for a fan oven, 365°F, Gas Mark 5.
- Serve hot with custard. No jam roly poly is complete without nice hot custard on the side.