Date Crumble Slices
2 out of 5
- 370g Dates
- 75g Caster Sugar
- 190ml Water
- Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
You will need for the crumble
- 150g Oats
- 225g Brown Sugar
- 185g Butter
- 130g Plain Flour
- 5g Bicarbonate of Soda
TO PREPARE OVEN & TRAY:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (165°C for a fan oven).
- Grease a 9 inch (23cm) square baking tin and line the base with greaseproof paper.
TO PREPARE THE DATE FILLING:
- Roughly chop the dates and place in a pan along with the water and caster sugar.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes until the dates have absorbed all the water and become soft. Remove from heat, stir in the Vanilla Essence and leave to cool.
TO PREPARE THE CRUMBLE:
- Press half the crumble mixture onto the base of the prepared tin.
- Spread the cooled date filling over the top of the crumble.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture over the date filling and press down gently.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 35 – 40 minutes until golden brown in colour.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before cutting into squares.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Great on their own or serve warm with Custard.